get the milk for free

one 38-year old single writer's attempt to make sense of her life, career, mistakes and oftentimes messy moments... or at least share her writing-- for free!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Let's just say, this is not where I thought I'd be when I grew up.

Monday, March 26, 2007

I Sold Another Essay! Or simply, Yippee!

Or an essayish type thing. It's going to be running on Thursday in the Calendar section of the Los Angeles Times! It's about a few of my dating experiences. All of which happened. A long time ago. Clearly. Because I haven't been on a date since... well, last year. When I went to Florida. Which again, was a very long time ago. I got the email this morning when I got to work. Which was a great surprise. I wrote the piece on spec right before I started this job and I hadn't even followed up yet. That's why the whole it being accepted out of the blue thing is truly just about the coolest thing ever. Well, almost the coolest. The coolest would have to be that the piece is going to be running... on my birthday! What are the odds of that? I'm choosing to think that's a good omen. And if it's not. I'm going to pretend it is. For both dating and writing. A girl can dream, can't she?

I do have to say, that it makes me feel much better about the fact I spent my entire day yesterday working on the rewrite of the Ex-Convict essay... and still didn't finish. ALL DAY. From 9:30am to 9:30pm. I didn't even go to yoga. Or buy Claritin D. I was determined to finish. But apparently, that was not enough to get it done. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with it. Maybe it was the whole Quentin birthday thing and that there are tons of drafts with different word counts and tones and that I didn't really want to be thinking about it at all. Him at all. Or maybe it was the fact I felt stupid reading it. Because now I can finally see that he never cared about me. That I just wanted him to. And he just needed a place to stay. Which makes me a bit sad. And the piece is supposed to be funny. So the sad thing is a problem. It's also all about him. Which is one of the things that I needed to fix. I spent all of yesterday trying to add me into the story. Where I was at when I met him, how it happened, how I felt and what I learned. Here's the problem: Do I even know what I learned? Maybe just to avoid contact at all costs. That's it, really. But that sure isn't how I felt when the whole thing ended. And ass that I am, I don't I necessarily even want it that way now. It's just the way it has to be. It's the best thing for me. Perhaps that's why rewriting it isn't so much fun anymore. Nor is even writing about it here. So I'm going to stop. Onwards and upwards.

Tomorrow night is the "Driving Force" premiere. It's at 10pm on A&E. Watch, watch, watch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home