get the milk for free

one 38-year old single writer's attempt to make sense of her life, career, mistakes and oftentimes messy moments... or at least share her writing-- for free!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Let's just say, this is not where I thought I'd be when I grew up.

Friday, March 02, 2007

The Learning Never Stops.

In production, I forget that the learning curve usually allows you a lot of time to learn. Or rather expects you to learn gradually. Me? I'm in a hurry to learn. Or just fill in the blanks to link what I do know to what I don't. So I can get somewhere. Before I'm dead. I'm kidding. Kind of. I learned a lot this week. I liked it. All of it. The people. A whole new house of testosterone. And no one yelled at me. How great is that?

Grant, one of the story producers, is hysterical. He's a foodie. Which I am not. And he brings in good food which he has cooked. And for the first time ever in my life, smelling food makes me hungry. So what do I do? Go to the vending machine and buy trail mix. It's a small bag. But it's food. Grant has a blog. A food blog. An amazing food blog: www.wellfed.typepad.com. He not only cares about recipes and presentation but the whole process. He reads cookbooks like I read self-help books (well, lately, at least). He told me I should start a blog. I clearly did not tell him about this blog. That would be a bad idea. However, people should visit his blog. Again, not saying or indicating how you got there. I like this job and prefer that they think I'm sane... for awhile at least.

There were a few tough questions this week like, "Where do you live?" To which I stammered. And then admitted Orange County. To which they blinked, uncomprehending. They hate their 20 minute commute from Silverlake. An hour and a half does not fit into their whole notion of reality or working in reality tv. Can't say I blame them. To "Why?" I just said I'm trying to get where I need to go. I realize now I should have spent a little more time and energy fabricating something a bit more interesting. It's just I wasn't really expecting that question.Then again, I haven't expected pretty much anything in the last six years. It's all quite bizarre.

The fact that reality TV is a kinder gentler place than the scripted world ego-wise is a coup. But, I am still a fish-out-of-water. And an older fish who just lets it go. I'm the only story person who isn't in a relationship. So when asked what I was doing this weekend, I didn't know what to say to their coupley weekend plans other than, "I just thought I'd get some writing done and edit." They said I had great discipline. Although I wanted to, I didn't feel that was an appropriate time to tell them no, I just don't have a life or a husband-slash-boyfriend-slash-option... aka I should kidnap some kids. I've been down this road so many times there's just no point. They don't know what it feels like to be twice their age and still not have had what they have. I can't teach them, don't want to, and it's really beside the point anyways. I'm there to learn about other people's reality, not teach them about my own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home