get the milk for free

one 38-year old single writer's attempt to make sense of her life, career, mistakes and oftentimes messy moments... or at least share her writing-- for free!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Let's just say, this is not where I thought I'd be when I grew up.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

I Left a Part of My Car on the 405



Not on purpose or anything. It's just a piece of the car that makes it look good. So now it no longer does. Not that I had a fancy car or anything. It's a 98 Toyota 4Runner. Which I bought after my 94 Toyota 4Runner got totaled when some stoned guy pulled out into moving traffic when I was on the way home from my friend's wedding shower. Me? I was the one moving. Him? He was the one at fault. And the casualty was my 94 Toyota 4Runner. Which I was completely happy with. I am so not a car girl. Yet another reason I belong in New York.

After that, I rode the bus for a few weeks. But LA? Not conducive to the bus. I ended up hoofing it through bad neighborhoods when my transfer wouldn't show up at 10pm at night. So yeah. Onto the 98. It was really pretty and shiny and RED when I got it. Now it's nearly never shiny. Still red. And now missing a piece that belongs around the wheel. I know there's a name for it... I just don't know it. I heard it fall off somewhere around Long Beach. And then it hit me. The piece that had gotten repaired when I was sideswiped during my Christmas party a few years ago. Yes, it's true. Two years ago, I had a White Christmas party - white food, white drink and white people. Not really. On the white people. There were all colors. But no matter what color they came in at birth, they had to wear white. That was fun. Waking up and finding my car had been sideswiped? Less so. Repairing it cost more than the party. And now? That repair was for naught. Argh. Oh well. What can you do? My mother is far more upset than I am. I am just raising my hands in the air. Of course. Of course this would happen. New York anyone? New York?

See it also does not hurt that today was a wonderful day. Still no internet, but I talked to Kate re: New Year's. I got Skunk soft pawed for the low fee of $19. I spent time with my friend Julie (who says her husband is perfect and means it and she's real enough that I know it's true. And that makes me very, very happy. And hopeful!). We've known each other since college. I just stayed at her house (if you were following) watching her black cat Furnace. And we went shopping for glasses. She got two pairs for the price of my one. Being blind is costly. But our glasses? We love. She looks rich in hers. And sassy. I was ecstatic for her. It's hard to find glasses. They're like bathing suits and jeans. Annoying to shop for yet important to get just right. I took her to a place where I bonded with the owner. It was in the Valley. Where she never goes. Where I sometimes go. And sometimes miss. But it is a schlep. Luckily, the schlep was worth it. Afterwards, we went to Oliver Peoples and I found my pair. With the help of a sassy salesman named "R". He said he'd date me in those glasses. Even if they are thick. Good enough for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home