get the milk for free

one 38-year old single writer's attempt to make sense of her life, career, mistakes and oftentimes messy moments... or at least share her writing-- for free!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Let's just say, this is not where I thought I'd be when I grew up.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Thank God for my Fast Fingers. And for Goldilocks.


I really like all of the people at the company Julie works for. And for some reason, Isaac the post coordinator is being ultra-cool to me. And he's cool! He said he wants to keep me around. On Friday morning, he got me a parking pass and a badge for the lot. Which is in Manhattan Beach. Which is a much easier commute than Santa Monica. They have good nosh in the area. And less traffic as a whole. The OC is filmed on the same lot. I love lots. Of any sorts. Being around cameras and productions is my deal. I like it. So when Isaac said told me that, you can imagine how excited I was. Even more so when he said he wanted to try and work me into the story area. I didn't talk to him or anyone else about my work experience. Julie mentioned it as an aside to him before I started... on the down low. So he'd know I could do the job. That I could do more than type. Which makes it all the better. That it's not coming from me. I'd rather have someone else toot my horn. I'm all tooted out.

So that being said, this is my third job typing on what seems to be my third path. Which might be the charm. I'm hoping it's the charm. I mean, Goldilocks only had to sit in three chairs, right? My first job out of college, on Backdraft, I was in charge of the script and the script changes and the notes. Which meant working for Ron and with each of the actors on their changes-- yes, Robert DeNiro and Kurt Russell and Donald Sutherland. Not Billy Baldwin so much. He didn't have much to say on the subject of character or his character. My typing speed was an asset much as was my willingness to distribute revisions at 3 in the morning. But at 21, who wouldn't, right? That's usually the time most people get in from going out-- well, at that age at least.

Then on Drew, after I'd realized I wanted to be a writer and not the development person helping the writer write, I had to start over by typing again. I did that for two and a half years. While I wrote my scripts on the weekends and read scripts and did coverage for cash at night. For some reason, that was really hard on me. I think because I thought I was done paying my dues. Fool that I am. It was a different industry. It was TV. I had paid my dues in film. Learned about story in film. But I hadn't worked in television. And so I had to start over again just like anybody else. I think alot of it was because it was also when my friends were moving up into VP jobs and starting to get married. And I felt like I was going backwards. I was working all the time and had no social life. I missed the point. I didn't see how lucky I was. That I had chosen it and it was a great opportunity. Then I was young enough that I could lie on my resume and underplay my experience to get the job. Later, my boss told me if he had known that I knew so much he wouldn't have hired me. He liked newbies. A lot of showrunners like to mold their own. He was one of them.

Now, I'm typing again. This time, in reality TV. I pray it's not for two years. But if it will get me where I'm going, so be it. I'll just need a really good masseuse and chiropractor. And maybe to make some headway in a few other areas of my life. The money isn't so great. So I'll have to figure something out on that front. Still. I know now that I'm lucky to be where I'm at. At the beginning of something new in an industry I want to be in. But now, I've also been humbled in ways I never dreamed. Done jobs I never dreamed I'd have to do. And been treated like I would never want to treat anybody else. The whole Drew Carey experience feels like a dream now. A whole other lifetime ago. And it was. This time, I'm going to be much more graceful. And grateful. Or at least do my best to be. I'm not going to think about my age or where I think I should be and where I'm not. I'm going to let go of expectations. At least now I know that I do know funny. That I can write funny. Maybe just a different kind of funny than sitcom. And while I work my way up, I can tell a few stories of my own. On my own. God knows I have enough of them. I just hope that there's some truth in the whole Goldilocks thing. And that this time, the chair is just right.

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Glad to hear about your progress.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home