get the milk for free

one 38-year old single writer's attempt to make sense of her life, career, mistakes and oftentimes messy moments... or at least share her writing-- for free!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Let's just say, this is not where I thought I'd be when I grew up.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

I'm Embracing the Beauties and Geeks

Literally. I got a hug today from one of the guys in the story department who told me how much he liked having me around. And he has a girlfriend (who also works on the show) and is like 10 years younger than me, so it's not like that. Because she said she liked having me there, too. I'm kind of liking being liked. It's fun. Particularly by people who you like as well and actually care if they like you. And if this whole liking thing happens to be in a work environment? All the better. Because I like it. And I also get to laugh.

The footage they have of the beauties and the geeks talking is hysterical. Seriously. It is the very reason reality TV exists. You can't make this shit up. I don't even know girls like that. But sadly, I have dated guys like that who are now or have been with girls like that. (And that's pretty much why they're not with me. I'm not naked Jody so much in the light of day. And even when I am naked Jody? I still think.) Not to say that they're not changed in some way by the experience. They are. They are feel good TV at its best. They all feel better about themselves after the show. And two of them are even richer. I can't say which ones though.

I've got to say, it's really nice to laugh again at work. I used to laugh all the time at work when I was on Drew-- but I was also stressed and traumatized. Which made the laughing less of a bonus. It got buried in the other gunk. And laughing? It's important. It's one of my favorite things to do. That being said, I have had my share of laughing in the past few years - even in the times that sucked. But it's been on the low end of the spectrum. Like a place you visit or pass through but not the place you live. I'd like to change that. It's amazing what an impact it has on a person. Even when you're doubled over in pain. Which I was over the weekend.

See, this whole allergy in conjunction with typing for 8 hours straight did do a number on my back. I couldn't move off of Quentin's couch on Saturday (we went out on Friday and I - being the displaced person I am - slept on his couch). After waiting to feel better, which didn't really ever happen, I finally left on Saturday night at like 8pm. It was the hour plus drive... which I somehow maneuvered. And on Sunday, I realized I had get a massage - which I never do - not that I don't love to do it, but it's not cheap -- and it basically was my entire paycheck last week -- but I knew I wanted to go back to the show and I knew I wanted to do it with a smile on my face and not complain about what was hurting me or how I was feeling - (which I only usually do on my blog - but anyway... this was something I could do something about. So I did.) That massage was the smartest thing I've done in a long time. It was like a dose of pain be gone. Now if that results in a dose of job-be-had, I will be ecstatic. And then some.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home