get the milk for free

one 38-year old single writer's attempt to make sense of her life, career, mistakes and oftentimes messy moments... or at least share her writing-- for free!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Let's just say, this is not where I thought I'd be when I grew up.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

What a Difference a City Makes & A Whole New Strategy

So. My first work day in Florida was not so fabulous... at first. The people who worked at the store I was at were hostile. Hostile to me, hostile to each other, and hostile to CUSTOMERS! It was crazy. Perfectly nice customers with skincare needs. I tried all day to train the "cast members" and no one would be trained. I tried all day to sell product, but I'll be damned in those cast members didn't have a whole different agenda. Namely, their own. They have a skincare contest going on and the higher the price point of the products, the higher the likelihood they'll win the contest. I think they get a trip or something, I'm not sure. But when a vendor comes in, not so cool to ignore them. Sell the whole regimen of a similar yet more expensive line repeatedly when the vendor is standing right there. The deal is this-- contest or no contest, when a vendor comes into a store such as a Sephora or a Bath & Body Works Flagship store, the whole idea is for us to offer training on the line to new "cast members" or "sales associates" while also assisting them in selling the line and educating the store's customers on the line as well as sampling them on various products. Nice stores listen and are kind, supportive and in some rare cases, actually enthusiastic. This store? Not so nice. Actually, the anti-nice. What we as vendors like to have happen is for the sales associates (again "cast members" at Sephora) to steer a customer to us whenever possible -- just to give the intro to the customer to see if they're open to it-- of course, this all depends on whether or not it fits in with the customer's needs.

And truthfully, sometimes it doesn't. There are some people who are label whores. Some people who don't believe a product under $100 could possibly work or do what it says it's supposed to do. There are other people who are hooked on MD brands (Perricone, Murad, etc). And those people, you let do their thing. Sure, you try to let them know-- fine, use those treatments, but try this in conjunction-- song and dance and why it makes sense. Boscia is a great product so the song and dance isn't that complicated. It's just always a dance. Such is life. Anyway, the only other supportive human was a fellow freelancer from Stila. A GORGEOUS woman who I am ever so grateful to-- for having a sense of humor, telling me that no other freelancers like to go to that store and that when she's there, she behaves like a cat. There were other tips, too. But I have to hold a few in reserve. All that taken into account, mid-day, I decided to have a strategy. To turn it around. How I planned to do this? Bribe them of course. No, not really. But I did ask them what would make them more supportive etc. How I could work with them... blah, blah, blah. Then somehow, before I slit my wrists with a plastic spatula used for product, one of the managerial types started telling me stories of her own. Horror stories of working at that location. And after an hour of nodding and stroking and completely understanding and being somewhat amused, I broke through. My childhood was easier than that, I tell you. Well, not really. Well, actually, if that day was repeated over and over and over again... kind of the same thing. Really. And I was just as proud of myself for surviving it. And turning around. And then, finding my way to Whole Foods-- where I got a date. Seriously. On my first day in Florida.

I GOT A DATE.

It was kind of crazy. Actually really crazy. This guy approached me as I was leaving. A very good looking guy. With the worst line ever: "What are you doing? Taking that back?" I was confused and said as much-- "And why would I be taking groceries back?" His answer? "I don't know. I just wanted to talk to you." God bless him. So we talked. In the parking lot and he wanted to see me again and after this, that and the other thing, I ended up out with him on a Friday night. Yes, a remarkable occurance. And it was quite lovely, I might add. I should mention his name is Jonathan. And he is an entrepeneur who also teaches tennis and writes. There is one John I know who will appreciate the whole tennis of it all.
Oh, and did I mention that I went with him to a Chabad dinner? (Is that how you spell Chabad??? -- will look up in hotel room. Writing in the lobby is getting somewhat tiring-- particularly after working and dating and working and finding my way home-- which was quite the feat-- an hour and a half drive each way today). Well, the dinner was educational, the people were lovely and I was spontaneous. Which I usually am if given the chance. I've had many, many epiphanies in this short time in Florida... which I will share tomorrow. Maybe I'll give a little milk every day. Yes, like a cow.

For now, off to bed. Happy Birthday to John. Happy Birthday to Sheridan. And you know, Happy Birthday to me!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home