get the milk for free

one 38-year old single writer's attempt to make sense of her life, career, mistakes and oftentimes messy moments... or at least share her writing-- for free!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Let's just say, this is not where I thought I'd be when I grew up.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

My Notice is In. Or. 31 Days and Counting...

It's scary. Because now it's real. There's no going back. It's not April so I can't say to my landlord, "April Fool's." And he doesn't have much of a sense of humor anyway. I was going to send an email to all my friends to see if someone wanted to take over this place before I mailed the notice. I mean, it is huge and nice. But I felt like why pass on the curse? Okay, so it's not the place that's cursed. Necessarily. But I don't think anybody I know needs the energy that's here.

I have a lot to do before I move. A lot. I have a lot to do just getting back from my trips. I mean I've been away 17 out of the last 19 days. Sure, I'm not going to do that any longer-- well, after the end of the month, I'm not. But even just unpacking, drycleaning, going to the store, paying bills and reading mail is a huge chore. To say nothing of packing up an entire 5 rooms. Still, I'm excited. I can see the end in sight. I really want to write. And get things done to move my life forward. I haven't gotten anything much done since June when all of this traveling started. It did seem like a good idea at the time. And necessary. I mean, a girl's got to pay her bills. And I did get to see alot. But I'm tired. And out of shape now. Over skincare. Not like I was really ever into it, but I was into the fact it was Caren's company. And I was a part of helping it succeed. And I do like the products and I don't like aging. But all this traveling and airplane air didn't exactly keep me looking young. In body, mind or spirit. Well, maybe in spirit. I did have quite a few adventures. Met a bunch of fun, interesting people. Had some drama, sure. But I did get to dance. And I haven't danced in years.

On the plane home from New York I read the screenplay for "Stranger than Fiction." It made me cry. Seriously. It's a comedy. But it's a good comedy. It's screenplays like that that inspire me to write. They're why I write and want to-- to think that I could write something as good as that some day. It's a unique voice. A unique way of looking at the world. And although the device may seem like it's been done before, if you just heard what it's about-- it's done in such way that it's entirely new, fresh and believable. It's definitely not a studio film. I hope it generates what a studio film does, though-- $$$-wise. That would be amazing. I also read "Rise and Shine" on the plane by Anna Quindlen. She may be an accomplished writer, but that book couldn't be less interesting. I thought it may have something in common with my screenplay - the rise and fall of two people's lives at the same time. But it's not really executed in a unique or particularly interesting way. She avoided drama. She had her character go hide out. What's intersting about that? Running away? Where's the story there? Unless some crazy drama ensues while that happens. But no, that's not the case. Disappointing. But sometimes it's good to see what not to do, too.

Okay, enough on my opinions on things. I have to go hike. Get Will ready for the vet and start collecting boxes. Anyone who's bored and wants to help pack up...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home