get the milk for free

one 38-year old single writer's attempt to make sense of her life, career, mistakes and oftentimes messy moments... or at least share her writing-- for free!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Let's just say, this is not where I thought I'd be when I grew up.

Monday, October 30, 2006

ALL ROADS LEAD TO NEW YORK







I’m sitting in JFK waiting for the next flight. Not because I missed mine, went standby or got bumped, but rather because I gave up my seat. For four hundred Delta dollars. They offered the same thing on the way out—from LAX. But I wanted to get to New York. To hang out with Kate and I didn’t feel like a 1 a.m. arrival into the city would be all that palatable to me or her. But an 8 p.m. arrival into LAX? Not so bad. Maybe because it’s providing me with the ability to come back to New York for free. Or rather, the small price of 4 hours in the Delta terminal. Even if they don’t have good food, a good bookstore or other distractions. Other than a Burger King, Starbuck’s and Samuel Adams. Yeah. This terminal could use a major revamp. Which I’m guessing all the construction is about. But for now? It works. I did meet a nice environmental lawyer who lives in Moscow at the Samuel Adams bar. I figure I’ll just sleep on the plane. I did play an awful lot while I was here—as these photos will attest. (You get to see Kate (doesn't she look gorg?! And Kristine (35... can you believe? She needs to tan or get sun damage or something. And Kate's friend Laura! And hot actor guy, Ed!).

My NYC plan has me excited. I’m aiming for my birthday. My 39th birthday. At the latest. Which is March 29th. It’s oh so close yet oh so far away. Which makes it a good reason for moving home. A reason for moving on. And a reason for sacrifice. I feel like I have focus now. A goal, if you will. A goal I want! Which has me motivated to get the other things moving in my life. Like my writing and the various other things that were stuck. And a lot of things? They were stuck. And let’s be honest, it’s hard to get things moving at home when you’re always somewhere else. Now, I’ll have no excuse.

I wasn’t ready the last time I moved to New York to make it work out. I was 27 years old. I had never had things and I wanted things. Now? Things aren’t all that important to me. At least not the things that LA provides. I have loved some of my things at times. I do appreciate having had them. And what having them means to others. But I don’t need them quite so much anymore. And since I’ve been living without them for five years, there’s no sacrifice involved where those things are concerned. They don’t mean happiness.

The east coast just feels more like me. It always has. It’s just I haven’t seen it in five years so I forgot . I don’t care about celebrities and cars and homes. For that matter, I never really have. I just felt like maybe I should. Where I picked to live in LA is due to my simple desire to be able to walk everywhere. To see things. People. Life. To have access to things I need. I love land. But I don’t need it on a daily basis. I need stimulation. I thrive on it. On seeing things. People. Living. That’s what makes life interesting. As my mother said, my cats may not dig it so much in the city. And I do want them to be happy. Hopefully as NYC cats. And if not, I’ll reluctantly let them be with someone who can give them a little outdoors in the bargain. Like I said before, I want everyone to have what they want. Even my cats.

Oh and Kate? She's the best hostess ever!!! And friend. I am lucky. I am.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the glowing review. You were a great guest. I had a lot of fun!

Kate

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who are the two hot chicks in the picture??

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for coming to my party and for the pumpkin! you look beautiful and had so much fun with you. can't wait for you to get yourself moved to nyc!

2:47 PM  
Blogger jodypwrites said...

There were three hot chicks!! Kate and Laura on the left and on the right, Kristine! (Who looks that good at 35? Or that young?!!! And stylish. She's fancy).

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home