get the milk for free

one 38-year old single writer's attempt to make sense of her life, career, mistakes and oftentimes messy moments... or at least share her writing-- for free!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Let's just say, this is not where I thought I'd be when I grew up.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Another Day of Blow Drying My Underwear

It sounds absurd, but it's true. It's because of this. They lost my luggage. Again. Just when it was found. Lost. This time I actually thought ahead-- albeit somewhat jokingly-- and wore something I could work in on the plane since I have to do a training tomorrow at 9:00am . And I brought my power cord for my computer and my cell phone. So I could amuse myself when the training is over by repeatedly calling the airlines to check on my luggage and if I don't get the answer I want, going on their website. So. At least I have learned what to bring on the plane. Even if the airlines didn't. The strange thing is, this was a different airline. This was USAirways. The other time was Delta. To their credit, USAirways gave me a little bag with a toothbrush, shaving cream and razor, deoderant, cotton swabs and a pouch of Woolite. Which will come in handy. Particularly the Woolite since I'll be washing and blowdrying my underwear. Yet again. I can't wait to be home and have my pick of underwear. All of my colors and styles. Well, just colors mainly. I'm kind of a Cosabella girl.

Maybe this is my fault. Or like my cousin said, maybe I have a sticker on my head. Because I was picked for a special search. Which is what they do if you switch flights anywhere, anytime. And I may have tempted fate when I said to the gate agent, "my bags will make it on this flight, right?" And he said, "Of course they will." And I may have jinxed the guy sitting next to me when I told him what happened with my bags on my last flight. Because his luggage was lost, too. And to think I was comforted to be on a bigger plane and to see a passenger I recognized standing there waiting at the luggage carousel-- as if that meant my bags truly were coming. It turns out that the guy sitting next to works for Loreal. And he does trainings like I do. That's why I think what I was thinking before was true-- that the "lost" luggage may not actually be lost at all but being checked out and scanned further because there are so many liquids and gels inside. BUT that doesn't explain why my rental car got screwed up again.

And to think I was in such a good mood from seeing my cousin and his family. So grounded. So back in touch with what's important in life. Important to me. And feeling like things might just work out. Somehow. I could see it working out. I could feel it. But when the rental car went wrong. When they said my card was declined and I knew my paycheck was in my account, I started to tear up. Because given the way things had been going on the earlier part of the trip, I had actually taken the time to call my bank before I got on the plane and made sure that my entire balance was available. Because they hold $250.00 in your account oftentimes in addition to the rental charge every time you rent a car if you use a debit card. No matter how long the rental is for. So. Before flight. Plenty of funds. After flight? Hold on funds. Why, you may ask? Well, let me just say this-- I have no idea. I called my bank and told them the situation. There was a very nice woman who helped me and she had no idea either. But she did get the bank to release $500 of my paycheck/expenses. Which it turns out was being held since it was such a large amount. As if I didn't know! I'm the one who has been waiting for it!!! Living without it. Argh. So even though it was released? Dollar Rent A Car wouldn't rent me a car since their policy is to run a debit card only once in 24 hours. I have no idea why. Either did the manager. So I started to cry. Yep. And not on purpose. And not because I'm hormoonal. Luckily, the manager took pity on me and walked around to the different rental car desks and got them to match the Dollar rate. Finally, Enterprise took me.

Not only did they take me, they gave me an upgrade. But then. They gave me the wrong directions. I went through one tunnel. Then another tunnel. And finally, I drove in the wrong tunnel. In the wrong direction. I asked a cop for directions. A man on the street. Called the reservations desk at the Quality Inn. Finally, I saw another Enterprise Rent a Car and pulled into the lot. By that time, I was somehow serendipitously a block away from the hotel. That's all.

Pittsburgh is confusing. Cool view and all. So is my life. I still have no bags. No brain power. But at least this time I have something to wear, something to wash my teeth, self and underwear with, a remote that works, and a bakery/coffee shop connected to the hotel. So when I go to buy coffee and stuff for the Sephora-ites in the morning, I won't have to drive or search or get lost. And on Thursday, if all goes well or at least a little bit better, I'll be home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home