get the milk for free

one 38-year old single writer's attempt to make sense of her life, career, mistakes and oftentimes messy moments... or at least share her writing-- for free!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Let's just say, this is not where I thought I'd be when I grew up.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Back from the Brink

Well, sort of. I mean, I did have a slight meltdown yesterday. After the whole WGA thing. Okay, it was bigger than slight. Because I felt slighted. That little WGA card made me feel like I was legitimate to someone or at least some organization. That they hadn't given up on me. Oh, well. At least I still get to see free Academy consideration movies until the end of the year.

To be honest (which we all know I can't stop myself from being... try as I may) the meltdown probably wouldn't have been so severe if I hadn't gone to meet on a job that my friend recommended me for-- drove all the way to Brentwood in Friday traffic, spent two hours meeting with the employer people only to discover that the pay was only $300 a week. In that time, I could have been writing. Or at least thinking about writing. When I told my friend thanks for the opportunity but I need to make more money than that-- I mean, fixing Skunk costs $292 (and I'm praying she doesn't go into heat before I get paid). Fixing me is bound to take a lot more money than that. Although, it is a whole different kind of fixing. My friend herself is doing the $300 a week job because she's a mom, can do it from home. And actually has a home and a husband who's a dentist (translated to mean the whole supporting herself on $300 a week isn't necessary. So I don't think it occurred to her that I need to be able to do that. That's what I told the employer people. I said, "Sorry, but it's just me." They actually looked sorry for me. But not so sorry that they'd pay more than that. What can you do? They have a pretty house. They want to keep it.

I did come up with another reality show idea. I'm going to work on an outline. I think it could be good if all the elements came together. Of course. I just need elements. Lots and lots of elements. Pray for me for the elements. I'm getting kind of tired of this beauty-on-the-go thing. I'm out-of-pocket $886. And Monday, I head out on another trip. I had a whole discussion with the new general manager about how imperative it is the company either speeds up the reimbursement process or adds direct deposit or provides travel advances or a company credit card. Any of these would be palatable options and perhaps good solutions that would make my life 100% less stressful. Not that the company cares, but I do. I had to borrow $1,000 today to cover the amount I'm out of pocket for them since I'm leaving on another trip for a week, get paid while I'm out of town, and have to incur a whole new slew of out-of-pocket expenses. I can hardly wait to see how much I have to borrow next month. It's almost become a game. Almost. Games are fun.

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

The WGA card sounds important. You'll get it back someday.

But a card doesn't make you a writer. Writing makes you a writer. These pages alone prove that.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home