get the milk for free

one 38-year old single writer's attempt to make sense of her life, career, mistakes and oftentimes messy moments... or at least share her writing-- for free!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Let's just say, this is not where I thought I'd be when I grew up.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

You're Beautiful. Do you Have Kids?


Last night, we celebrated my birthday. And some random guy in the bar came over to our table and asked me that. What happened to "You're beautiful. Can I buy you a drink?" or "You're beautiful. Are you single?" or "You're beautiful. Want to come home and have sex with me?" When did I jump straight to the kid? Sure, I would like to have kids. But I kind of want that in between step to happen first. I mean, I want a man. I want a bachelorette party and a wedding shower and then a baby shower. I want a party or two beforehand. I want to have those silly sandwiches without crust and play guessing games. Well, maybe not those. But I gotta admit, the loot would be nice. To get a few cool pots and pans to cook my non-existent husband dinner in. And a car seat and bassinet for the non-existent kid. Even though I have no idea what a bassinet is for. Oh, Kelly just told me it's what my non-existent baby will sleep in. Good to know.

Well, the random guy also said, "You should change your name to Beautiful." Could you imagine? "Hi, I'm Beautiful." Yeah, that's setting yourself up for a lot of uncomfortable moments. So anyway, back to the kid thing. I'm getting asked that alot lately. I'm not sure if that's such a good sign. Like I'm giving off the mom vibe... in bars. Unless Desperate Housewives has created such a phenomenon that moms are now a hot commodity and I could actually be a commodity. That wouldn't be so bad. But I'm still single. I am! And I wanted to stay out late last night and play. That doesn't sound like any mom you know, does it? Well, not one that the police aren't after for neglect. I'm kidding, I'm sure moms who stay out late have babysitters or good, understanding husbands.

Okay. I have to go hike. I'm off to Runyon. I have to make myself fit enough to chase after my non-existent kids.

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Well I'd have flunked the quiz.

I thought the bassinet was the instrument played by the guy sitting next to the clarinetist.

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home