get the milk for free

one 38-year old single writer's attempt to make sense of her life, career, mistakes and oftentimes messy moments... or at least share her writing-- for free!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Let's just say, this is not where I thought I'd be when I grew up.

Friday, March 31, 2006

This is my 68th post!

I'm kind of excited about it. Since I was born in 1968. Let's be honest, I'll find meaning or excitement in a box of mac and cheese if you let me. Yes, it's true. Although I don't eat mac and cheese anymore. I did used to.

I also used to go to yoga. And today? I did again!!!! I can't tell you how happy it made me. You'd think I was getting married or something. I went to my favorite yoga studio (Maha Yoga) and one of my favorite teachers (Ish) and I kept up and was limber (how? I have no idea... not from yoga and not from sex, I'll tell you that much), and I was sweating the entire time. Me? I'm kind of a freak. I love to sweat. And it was wonderful to sweat again-- physically. Not mentally or emotionally or financially. And it's part of my plan. And that's wonderful, too. I like my plan.

I also like birthday wishes. I like late ones even better than on time ones sometimes. Well, that's not true. I like them both. Because it would suck to have them all be late. Then your birthday would kind of just be a huge bummer. That being said, I heard from a lot of people I didn't expect to and it meant alot to me. How they remembered. And to have blog readers wish me happy birthday? Well, that was cool, too. Very cool, in fact. I can't believe they haven't lost interest. I mean, they're kind of like Brian, what do they get from me?

I was thinking today that two years ago on my birthday I got the job working at the Beverly Hills boutique. And I was excited. I know, I know. I'm changing... I get it. And that's probably why the dinner party/birthday party with my girlfriends was a little off that year-- although there was one part I loved and that's when I asked everyone to write a wish for me on a piece of paper. Like a fortune of sorts. I didn't open them last year. Last year, I was busy going to MagickLady and learning that this year-- which has turned out to be true-- I would look back on my 37th year as a desert. And it was. And now, it's raining. I think that's a good omen.

So these are the wishes from my friends. I'll let you know when I start to cry.

There comes a time when change is good.

In the month of the libra, love will meet you halfway to the sea.

By this time next year, you will be awaiting the debut of your first novel as well as your first child-- is there a connection? xxxoo (CRIED).

Lots and lots of money. You're fucking rich.

You will find your soulmate. (CRIED)

May life bring you love, happiness and great sex! You deserve for your dreams to come true.

Pulitzer Prize is in your future. (CRIED).

You will find much happiness in the next two months.

You will have a prosperous year full of love and happiness.

An easy time, lots of money, creativity, fun. Enjoyment of life. Success!!!


You know, after reading them-- those wishes might just be worth getting old for. The weird thing? I put the wishes in an antique box one of my friends gave me. He left a card from the place he bought it inside because it described the history of it-- it's an antique. The store was this: Beth. That's my mom's name. So maybe that's an omen, too.

All meaning aside, I do like to know that people wish for me. Believe in me. Are still there. And I'm not boring the shit out of them. Writers don't like to be boring. Especially struggling ones. That doesn't bode well. My friends oftentimes email me instead of going the comment route, which I get. But a great bday present for me would be a few comments. Anonymous or otherwise. You can tell me I suck, I don't suck. I'm funny, I'm not. I have a bad dye job. The rug doesn't match the carpets, whatever. I'm getting into the whole receiving thing. And practice makes perfect.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog very much and also wish good things for you. Don't be disheartened if you don't receive more comments. Oftentimes people just don't have the time to or inclination to do that, even though they are reading and enjoying.

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry for all the truth posted on your blog.
you are a good writer,
you should write a book.

9:28 AM  
Blogger John said...

The rug doesn't match the carpets.

You shouldn't write a sentence like that in such proximity to one in which you mention a bad dye job. It will get people thinking impure thoughts that have nothing to do with floor coverings.

Ahem.

Since you wondered why people read, I'll try to explain. I happened across your blog one day it when it happened to be the "Next Blog." It had interesting tales told well so I began making regular visits. It didn't hurt that you looked cute in a picture you posted early on.

;-)

It took a self-pitying turn that made it difficult to keep coming back but by then I had developed a rooting interest.

Reading your stories now is not unlike watching a newborn foal struggle to its feet. Its legs are long and wobbly and standing on them doesn't look physically possible. But it must happen. There's a lot at stake. If the foal can't stand up, it can't nurse. And if the foal can't nurse, it can't live.

Stand up.

7:00 PM  
Blogger jodypwrites said...

did I get self-pitying? absolutely. I had been run over so many times I didn't know which way was up. if there was an up. at the end of the day, all I can be is honest. i was just honest. for better or worse. i'm going for honest.

that being said, thanks for reading-- whether you related or not, wanted to or not. and/or liked my version of honest.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home