get the milk for free

one 38-year old single writer's attempt to make sense of her life, career, mistakes and oftentimes messy moments... or at least share her writing-- for free!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Let's just say, this is not where I thought I'd be when I grew up.

Sunday, March 19, 2006

There are People Cheering Outside My Window

And they weren't for me. It was for the Los Angeles Marathon. It was seriously right around the corner. That seems to be a theme lately. And I've got to say, it was pretty inspiring. And kind of fun. To hear happy, cheering people. It kind of made me feel like if I could hear that every day, I'd be in a wonderful mood. They were dancing, holding up signs, running alongside people they knew, people they didn't know. Sure, the marathon slowed down my efforts to get to my writing workshop-- by about an hour and half. But it was worth it. If those people can run for 26 miles, I figure I can sit in traffic for awhile.

Of course, my happy mood was made happier by the fact they liked my story. That always helps. And frankly, that helped alot. I needed to hear it-- cheering for what I was doing and did. To hear that it was effective and powerful and loaded with meaning. (Their words, not mine. Promise). I liked hearing, "Send it out!" and "It's so close" (people do have different opinions, by the way). And that they hated the characters and loved them. And then I thought when I was driving home, if it all works out, won't this all have been worth it? These five years? Well, let's be honest. One or two years, would have been better. And easier to handle gracefully. And there were a lot of times I could have done without. But hearing Laura say, "It's all perfect." Nearly made me cry. Because if there's a light. And I'm out of the tunnel somewhat soon, a little more tired and a little worse for the wear, it might still be okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home