get the milk for free

one 38-year old single writer's attempt to make sense of her life, career, mistakes and oftentimes messy moments... or at least share her writing-- for free!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Let's just say, this is not where I thought I'd be when I grew up.

Monday, December 04, 2006

An Update, Finding God and My Friend the Dominatrix.

I tried to make today's blog title catchy or at least intriguing. My mental energy is now depleted. I am now in bed. Ready to nap. Sadly? I am serious. Tired. Jody is tired. For not one reason in particular. Well, not really.

See, I drove to San Diego this weekend. Even though I didn't want to. For some reason, driving 2 hours in Los Angeles is worse than driving 6 hours some place else. I have no idea why. Perhaps someone who knows the reason can explain it to me. Other than it being due to the current state of my life. Which might just be reason enough. See, I had to do a training in Chula Vista. Home of prisons and new home developments just one freeway stop short of Mexico. Which in and of itself is interesting. Particularly when you miss your exit and you can see the border. Actually, you almost cross the border whether you want to or not. Which I have never consciously driven across. Meaning that when I was turning 18 we went to Mazatlan on a bus and I drank tequila out of a canteen and when I woke up... well, it was no longer my birthday and I was in Mexico. That was a weird trip. I had big blonde hair. Too big. And was too tan. And scammed on a guy named Troy from San Diego State who a few years later ended up marrying my friend's sister. Which was too creepy. I wasn't great on judgment then. I think it was the eyeshadow.

So that friend's sister? Well, incidentally, I lived with that friend. And she became a Jesus freak when we were living together post-UCLA, in Westwood, in this great place. Which I loved. My first great place. I have to admit, I have been blessed in that department. The great place one. So at least Chakrapani got that part right. Well, Kristine? She found God somewhere outside of Los Angeles and decided she had to leave me in that unholy place. Therefore, she proceeded to turn off all the utilities-- which were in her name-- which I have never let happen again, mind you-- and she took all the furniture-- which I have since then bought an excess of-- and I was left sitting on the ground in the dark. I remember being stunned and panicked and wondering what the hell I was going to do. I didn't feel she was behaving very God-like. But what can you do? Or say? Particularly when the Jesus freak isn't calling you back? So, I called her mom and she sent me the rent for the next month and apologized for her crazy daughter (who I had known for over four years-- since AP Biology, by the way). And mom's rent bought me a month. Still, I had no idea what I was going to do. I wasn't making enough money to pay for my pretty place. And it wasn't big enough for 2 people who didn't know each other. Unless they were having sex (not that we were!!! But we didn't care about sleeping on separate twin beds in one room. So we obviously weren't having sex with anyone). So. I had to move.

Then. Out of the blue, BACKDRAFT came along and then there I was. Signing over my lease to a cute couple while I got on a plane to Chicago to work on the production for 6 months. Where I tried to couple and did but that's a different melodramatic story for a different day. (And on another note, I did just recently find the wrap party VHS which was loaned to me by Jack McGee who is now on Rescue Me which I love and who I have recently been exchanging phone calls with which I also do love).

Okay. I digress. I am digressing. Anyway, as I was driving, I couldn't help but think that maybe. Just maybe. Something will happen to Rescue Me. Some version of that story. That there might be some perfect place to go. Some adventure. Some calling. That will suddenly appear and make the move an adventure and not a loss. So I'm hoping. And praying to Kristine's God and mine. Because I think that might have been what happened that time. Someone was looking out for me. Oh, and the dominatrix? I just got a Christmas card from her. She's married. Who knew?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home