get the milk for free

one 38-year old single writer's attempt to make sense of her life, career, mistakes and oftentimes messy moments... or at least share her writing-- for free!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Let's just say, this is not where I thought I'd be when I grew up.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Putting My Ego in Storage.


Not that I have much of an ego any more. I can't for $270 a month. It must shrink in relation to my living situation. It better. I'm going to be surrounded by wallpaper soon. And sleeping on a full mattress. I was really aiming for something more king-sized. I was. But. Life is funny. And apparently, I have bad aim.

Yesterday, I changed my move date. After spending the greater part of the morning viewing storage spaces, I realized that there was no way I was going to be ready to move today. Looking at storage spaces alone took over two hours. Who knew that there are so many options? Size, location, ones with lifts, drive-ups, ones in hallways. And then there's demand. There is apparently lots of demand. But not a lot of insurance. That you have to buy. And there are hidden charges. And certain times you can access your stuff. Security codes and locks. And finally, after all that? There are people who don't pay which means they auction off the contents of the space. I think I finally decided on a roomy 10 x 25. For $270 a month. The rent that some people in some areas actually pay a month. To live WITH their stuff. But. Not me. Still, I didn't sign on the dotted line. I don't know what I'm waiting for. A miracle, maybe. I'm still naive enough to believe in those.

Re: the move date? I was much too depleted by the whole crying-packing-looking for Will thing to get it together. Which ultimately turned out to be a good thing. Kelly's place fell through minutes after I walked in the door and relayed the news that I was moving next week and our landlord was okay with it. As long as I paid, of course. He hasn't shown it to anyone. He doesn't really need to rent the place out immediately. He's an apartment baron. An asian Leona Helmsley. Well, not really. But he doesn't need the money, hates doing work on things and likes collecting rent. His dad left him a slew of buildings that were paid off. Now why wasn't I born into that family?

He was quite curious as to where I was moving and why. I didn't feel like getting into it. Being mocked by my landlord wasn't really something I was in the mood for. I just said I was heading to New York. He told me I had too much stuff. You've got to love unsolicited opinions. I almost told him I know. That's why I need a 10x25 instead of a 10x10.

Today, I am going to take it a bit easy. I am going to pack slowly. Hike quickly. And do errands. Which include offering up a reward for my Little Will. I feel much better staying longer and looking more for him. I hope he comes back. Some people say maybe he has a new home. It's bad enough when men leave you, but male cats? Argh. Although I did write a story about it. And fittingly, it was over Christmas, "Cat Leaves Girl." In it, the cat picked living with a family instead of a single woman. Yeah. You create your reality, I guess.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck with the move!

Kate

5:59 AM  
Blogger John said...

I had my stuff in storage when I first moved to FL. Only had a 10x15. It was tight but I got all the stuff from my 1BR apartment into it. Didn't buy the insurance. Thought it was a ripoff. Never had a problem. I also didn't go for any extras. No climate control or anything. I packed my clothes in plastic. I should have used a bug bomb occasionally to kill off the spiders but otherwise my stuff was fine. I didn't leave any valuables or anything susceptible to humidity or heat.

Sorry to hear about Will but I think I've expressed my feelings about outdoor cats to you before. It's not just a philosophy. Any vet will tell you that indoor cats live healthier, longer and perfectly happy lives. Outside they have to fight over territory. They get ticks and fleas and sicknesses. They get accidentally run over by cars or intentionally abused by sickos.

And they get lost or taken.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home